Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"Being-new-to-the-company" syndrome

I was an intern in one of the "Good-companies-to-Work-for" company for my final semester thesis submission. I got so much used to the culture and the work style. I used to enjoy each day at work. I used to be there for most of my time, had made it my first home. So much so that I used to even feel sad that I have to return to my home. :)

That was a good life. The technology I always wanted to work on. The work environment I always wanted. And etc etc etc.

But once I finished my internship, I had to move on. I did not get placed there. I was disheartened, saddened, dejected and everything that I have no words to describe. That’s the problem with human beings. We get used to somethings or some one so much that we forget to move on. We feel that’s the end of our life. End of the world and end of everything. But Charles M Schulz (American Cartoonist) rightly says "Don’t worry about the world coming to an end today. Its already tomorrow in Australia".

Then within a week I got placed in the company which sits on the 1st position in the ERP domain. The day I joined, I was happy at one time and sad at the other. I used to look back at my past and long for being in the previous company. I started comparing the good of the previous company and the bad with this one. (Looking back at my early days in this present company, i feel so ashamed of myself). Never mind that. I used to feel bad, sad and almost everything that I need to do something to get back to previous company. We humans have one more problem, as rightly said by Helen Keller (American Author and Educator) - "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us".

That’s what happened. I never paid attention to the trainings/seminars and sessions I was put into. I used to call everyone on their cell phones and crib about the past. Crib about what I never got. Crib about the present where I am.

Then what happened is a miracle. I STARTED TO LIKE THE PRESENT COMPANY. The colleagues. The environment. The food and almost everything. I even started liking the journey between my home and the office. With this I would like to quote "the only thing that is permanent in this world is CHANGE". Now, I am a happy person with what I have.

I have started to appreciate the changes coming my way. I have started to see the opportunities coming my way. To be frank, I even dint want to go back to the previous company. I feel great now and happy and satisfied.

I think this is what called as "being-new-to-the-company" syndrome that everyone goes through. This is also a permanent in this world along with CHANGE. :) Now I have learnt to move on with a smile... :)

No comments: